During the last day of our Master in Leadership program at Trinity Western University, our Director, Dr. Don Page gave us an awe inspiring message. Of the many things he told us, one phrase continues to stand out. Don said, with the completion of this program, we would never listen to a speech or watch a TV show or a movie without noting the Leadership styles. Even though that inspiring speech was ten years ago, I still look for Servant Leaders wherever I go.
These statements have re-affirmed his comments this week.
- Servant Leaders develop other leaders.
- Servant Leaders make hard decisions.
- Servant Leaders are visionary: they believe in and motivate their people.
- Servant Leaders find and build other Servant Leaders.
- Servant Leaders have a Vision, Mission and Values to improve whatever they do.
- Servant Leaders show the world a better way.
- Servant Leaders lead by serving.
- Servant Leaders care for their people and lead them toward the ultimate Vision.
As a leader, what can you do to demonstrate God’s love?
“Servant Leadership is being a servant first. The essence of servant leadership is leading by example.” (Courteous Rebel by Angie Mays)
“Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of yourselves! Should not the shepherd take care of the flock?” (Ezekiel 34:2 NIV) As Christian leaders, you are not here to serve “your own interests, but each of you to the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4 NIV).
“…the substance of servant hood. It is about people who are willing to submit to the Lordship of Christ no matter what the personal implications”. (McManus, An Unstoppable Force)
“Leadership is not about being in charge, it is about taking care of those in your charge.” (Simon Sinek)
As a Leader, look to implement these characteristics at home, work and school today.
Leadership is … showing the world a better way!
Yours in Service,
Laurie D. Kennedy